Media and Awards
- 2015 NADO Innovation Award - Transportation Resource Center - Expanding Local Services
- 2014 NC APA Marvin Collins Outstanding Planning Award - GroWNC - Together We Create Our Future Plan
- 2014 NADO Innovation Award- GroWNC
- 2014 NADO Innovation Award- Refresh - Making the Land of Sky Regional Council Brand
- 2014 NADO Innovation Award- 2014 MLK Day of Service Project
- 2013 NADO Innovation Award- Brownfields Glen Rock Project
- 2012 NADO Innovation Award – WNC Forest Products Cooperative Marketing Project
- 2012 Air Quality Excellence Award – presented by the WNC Regional Air Quality Agency for Outstanding efforts to improve air quality in Western North Carolina
- 2012 US Department of Energy Recognition - to LOSRC for Achieving Clean Cities Designation for the Asheville Metro Region
- 2010 NADO Innovation Award – Recycle This Site
- 2010 NADO Trailblazer Award- Regional Brownfields Program
- 2004 NADO Innovation Awards – Investing in our Sense of Place Assets and Children Weigh Less
- 2003 NADO Innovation Award – Regional Brownfields Award
- NADO Awards for: Mills River Watershed Protection Program; Black Mountain Wellhead Protection Program; Household Hazardous Waste Management Program (2001)
- NADO Award: Pockets of Rural Poverty
- 2000 NADO Award: Regional Strategic Assessment
- NADO Award: From Cradle to Construction
- NADO Award: Madison County Recreation Map
- NC APA Marvin Collins Planning Award- Haywood County Bike Map and Health Impact Assessment
The following media relate to the work of the LOSRC departments. Jump to department:
Administration | Area Agency on Aging | Volunteer Services | Economic and Community Development | Mountain Area Workforce Development | Mountain Mobility
- Land of Sky is partnered with the Local Government Federal Credit Union is host a Shred and Protect event for Buncombe County residents at Land of Sky's Parking Lot on June 12 from 11 am - 2 pm. The event was a huge success, shredding 3,400 lbs!
Area Agency on Aging
- Music as medicine at local long-term care facilities - Mountain Xpress - November 10, 2016
- The Mountain Coailition for Healthcare Decisions have produced a new PSA - Why Advance Care Planning is Important: Featuring Sharon West. View it here.
- The Area Agency on Aging's Family Caregiver Program has developed a new resource for caregivers in our region. The Caregiver Resources Directory provides information on adult day programs, support groups, in-home assistance agencies, and much more!
- In honor of Older Americans Month, Land of Sky Regional Council will collect items for local congregate nutrition programs during the month of May: Marshall Senior Center has a food pantry which is low on non-perishable food items. Canned soup is the most requested item. WCCA Quebec Lunch Plus at Quebec Community Center needs bingo prizes. Paper towels, Kleenex, dish detergent, bar soap, and hard candy are popular prizes. Items can be dropped off at Marshall Senior Center/Madison County Department of Community Services, WCCA - Brevard, or Land of Sky Regional Council.
- The Family Caregiver Support Program provides information, assistance, education, and respite for people caring for a frail older adult. We need to hear from family caregivers in order to provide services that meet their needs. If you are caring for an older person or have cared for one please take a few minutes to complete our Caregiver Needs Survey. For more details on the survey read the full Survey Announcement. (Download and save the survey before completing)
- Buncombe County TRIAD present a workshop "Know Who To Trust" at AB Tech on March 27. Senior citizens are often targeted in scams by con artists. Experts met to talk about ways to protect them. WLOS - March 28, 2013
Economic and Community Development
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park Celebrates New Alternative Fuel Equipment for Use by Park and Visitors - GRSM Becomes First National Park to Install Public Electric Vehicle Fast Charging Equipment - Press Release
- Asheville's Strive Not To Drive Week is May 15 - Friday, May 22, 2015. ‘Walking the Talk': Strive Not to Drive points out pedestrian dangers - Mountain Xpress
- Every year Land of Sky Regional Council holds an Ozone Kickoff event to let people know when ozone air quality forecasts begin, and the current state of air pollution in our region. This video is a news update featuring the speakers of this event, summarizing our current state of air quality in Western North. Full Ozone Kickoff Video
- Beginning in 2012, Land of Sky Regional Council, ASAP, and UNC Asheville's National Environmental Modeling and Analysis Center (NEMAC) started working on a collaborative project to better understand what communities need to foster successful and sustainable local food system growth. Read more here.
- HandMade in America and Land of Sky Regional Council Selected for the WealthWorks Economic Development Program - NADO - March 30, 2014
- Asheville Area Drives Clean Air Movement- The Laurel of Asheville - March 2014
- Renewable Energy Law- WLOS - March, 19, 2013
- CSA fair to showcase variety of farm bounty - ASAP hosts CSA event for third year - Citizen-Times - March 18, 2013
Mountain Area Workforce Development